If you have a voice that is eager to be heard then consider submitting your work for the Student Organizing Yearbook. By making a contribution to this year’s yearbook you will be able to share your thoughts and ideas with thousands of students across the country.
This year we will be posting yearbook articles every other week and announcing the posting in the Student Organizer bi-weekly email newsletter. The newsletter goes out to over 10,000 individuals registered with GLSEN and could also be shared with over thousands of monthly visitors to the website. If you are not already registered to receive newsletters you may do so at:www.dayofsilence.org/so.
The yearbook is a year-in-review of editorials, success stories, artwork, poems, photos, resources and information by and for young people from all walks of life.
Submitting a work for the Yearbook is an opportunity for you to share your experiences with students, teachers, and administrators all over the United States. If you need an example submission visit GLSEN.org which features selected stories that change periodically. The complete Yearbook is sent to 6,000 individuals and student clubs commonly known as gay-straight alliances (GSAs) registered with GLSEN's Student Organizing department.
Because your personal experiences and successes are so important, we will try to publish these through either the web or print version of the Yearbook, or by other means through GLSEN. Please understand, however, that because of the amount of stories we receive, submission does not guarantee publication.
GLSEN is seeking submissions on the following topics:
- Student clubs commonly known as gay-straight alliances (GSAs); starting, maintaining or being involved with, success stories
- Days of Action; Voter Registration Week, Transgender Day of Remembrance, Dr. Martin Luther King Organizing Weekend
- Policy; campaigns, passing school, district or state-wide non-discrimination policies, anti-harassment policies
- Training; Teacher or student educational trainings on LGBT and/or diversity issues
- Organizing; being involved with a campaign, organizing a youth event, etc
- Curriculum; adding LGBT inclusive curriculum in schools
- Education; library displays, book readings, educational events
- Diversity; LGBT youth of color, transgender or gender identity, straight allies, children of LGBT families
- Submissions from people of color, women and those of diverse gender identities and expressions are strongly encouraged.
- The average submission is between 700-900 words. All submissions may be edited for clarity and/or length.
- Submissions may be made by anyone who is currently in grades k-12 - however, those under the age of 18 must have parental permission to use full name and/or pictures.
- Upon receipt, GLSEN reserves the right to use submissions in any GLSEN publication, material and/or web space.
- If chosen for publication, you will be notified, and receive a complimentary copy of the yearbook.
Please "cut and paste" the below information into any email, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact Information First Name: Last Name: Address: City/State/Zip: Phone: Email:
Should we need to contact you, when is the best time - and how? When?: How? (email, phone, mail):
- Other Information Date of Birth: High School Graduation Year: How would you like your name to appear as credit for this submission, if chosen? (preferred name, nick names, alias, first name only, and anonymous are all allowed):
- Yearbook Submission Please either attach your submission, or include in the email body below.
- Picture If you have a picture of your self, or another relevant picture, you might care to share with your story - attach this file to the email.
You may also mail your picture(s) for use in GLSEN publications via U.S. Mail to:
GLSEN Yearbook 90 Broad Street Second Floor New York, NY 10004
OR, email them to us at: email@example.com
By submitting this form you agree to the following:
- All information submitted herein is complete and accurate to the best of my knowledge, and I have sole property rights to my story, editorial and/or article.
- I hereby authorize GLSEN complete use and rights to my above submission of both text and/or picture for use on the web or in publications and resources, as decided by GLSEN.
- I hereby understand GLSEN has the right to edit my submission for clarity and/or length, as needed for publication.
- I hereby certify that I am the author of the submission above.
My typed name above confirms I have completely read, understand and agree to all of the above statements and hereby submit my name as my signature.
Click here to email: firstname.lastname@example.org.