Get Involved with GLSEN New York City
Thank you for your interest in GLSEN New York City. We’re glad you’d like to join us in our on-going efforts to make schools safe for all students regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
Some of our current activities include:
- Supporting Days of Action like No Name Calling Week, Day of Silence, and Ally Week
- Tabling at events, conference or LGBT Pride events
- Supporting teachers through full-day or half-day professional development opportunities
We are currently looking for volunteers and board members.
Volunteers serve a wide variety of roles, from assisting with events to helping us identify opportunities for GLSEN New York City to get more involved in the 5 boroughs. At this time, volunteers are asked to fill out the application below (the same application asked for potential board members), and they will be contacted when opportunities for involvement arise.
At this time, we are looking to fill the following Board of Directors position. :
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Fundraising Coordinator
- At-large Board Member
As a volunteer run chapter affiliated with the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network, board members are asked to:
- Attend board meetings the 2nd Saturday of every month from 2 - 4 p.m. at a Midtown Manhattan location
- Miss no more than 3 meetings in a calendar year
- Attend fundraising or social events as needed
- Successfully pass a background check
- Fulfill duties of their specific board position
The board is a working board, meaning that we value your dedication and volunteer time. You are not expected to be a financial contributor to GLSEN, nor will it increase your chances of joining the board.
BOARD AND VOLUNTEER PROCESS
We ask all potential volunteers and board members to fill out an online application. Because we are an organization that works with youth, we take our volunteer commitment very seriously and ask that you take your time to fill out the application completely. It should take between 10-15 minutes, and the application must be done in one sitting.
Volunteer applications will be contacted as opportunities arise.
Board applications will be sent to the current board for review. They will then select individuals to participate in a short interview at a midtown Manhattan location.
Please click to be taken to our online volunteer and board member application. If you experience issues or have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.