You are here
Get Involved with GLSEN Richmond
Thank you for your interest in GLSEN Richmond. We’re glad you’d like to join us in our on-going efforts to make schools safe for all students regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. We will appreciate any amount of time you have to offer!
Some of our current activities include:
- Supporting student GSA clubs with their Days of Action programs like No Name Calling Week, Ally Week and Day of Silence on April 15, 2016.
- Tabling at events, festivals, or LGBT Pride to provide the general public with information and resources about LGBTQ youth in schools
- Student GSA Summits (Fall and Spring) to assist GSA youth in improving their GSA club activities and operations
- Providing training concerning LGBTQ youth in schools to local educators and community group.
- The School Library Project reviews and develops a list of LGBT themed fiction and non fiction books to GSAs to place in their school libraries. These books help students and their parents with the "coming out" process, help students see themselves reflected in literature, and develop allies among their peers. These resources are important for creating safe and respectful school communities.
We need individuals with a wide variety of skills for these and other projects of our chapter. Let us know what your interest is, and we'll try to match you with the work opportunities in our chapter.
Please note that we require all volunteers over the age of 18 who would like to work with youth to go through a background check before you can begin volunteering. If you are under 18 you do not need a background check at all. A volunteer not in contact with youth at all would not need a background check; however that would change if you applied to become a Board Member. And, if you ended up around youth for any reason a background check approved adult would need to be present. Therefore, we strongly encourage all volunteers over the age of 18 to go through a background check.
We look forward to working together to make schools free from anti-LGBT bullying and harassment. Questions? Email us at Richmond@chapters.glsen.org