You are here
Be an Ally to Athletes!
Check out these 10 simple ways to be an ally in sports from Changing the Game: The GLSEN Sports Project
- Treat diversity among teammates as a team strength.
- Encourage your school to establish gender-neutral team dress codes for travel and game days.
- Display Safe Sports Space stickers in locker rooms, coaches' offices and other athletic spaces in the school.
- Assess your school athletic climate by using this checklist.
- Support LGBT teammates who choose to identify themselves to others.
- Ensure your school has and implements an anti-bullying policy that includes sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
- Wear a pin, tee shirt or wrist band supporting respect for LGBT student athletes.
- Encourage your athletic department or coach to schedule workshops on LGBT issues in sports.
- Do not make anti-LGBT slurs, jokes, comments, cheers, or slogans and speak up when someone else does.
- Read books or news articles about LGBT issues in athletics to better understand how to make sports respectful and safe for all.