You are here
2017 National Student Council
The National Student Council (NSC) is a GLSEN-sponsored youth leadership and engagement program. It is open to all youth currently enrolled in high school in the United States. Members of the National Student Council dedicate their time, passion, and commitment to the mission of LGBTQ-inclusive schools while elevating the voices of marginalized groups within the LGBTQ community, including (but not limited to) youth of color, youth in rural communities, and transgender and gender nonconforming youth.
Applications for the 2017-2018 NSC are now open and are due at 11:59pm on March 22. Applications are a 3-part process. Applicants will be notified if they advance, and finalists will be notified in May.
Learn more from what current NSC members have to say about their experiences.
The 2016-2017 NSC meets with Rep. Lewis
As a member of GLSEN's National Student Council, you will:
- Attend an all-expenses-paid, four-day leadership summit in Phoenix, Arizona this summer, where you'll participate in workshops and gain valuable leadership experience through group exercises, individual storytelling opportunities, and thoughtful discussions about power, privilege, oppression, and intersectionality
- Advise GLSEN programming and campaigns, offering valuable insight to our staff and Board of Directors
- Share your story with movers and shakers in the LGBTQ movement, from policymakers to media to donors
- Present workshops and participate in panels at national conferences and at GLSEN events
- Serve as a media ambassador for GLSEN, giving interviews to national media outlets
- Create your own content that offers insight into the experiences of LGBTQ youth in school
- Network with major players in the LGBTQ movement via events such as the GLSEN Respect Awards
Gain professional development through attendance at renowned social justice and activist conferences and conferences dedicated to the LGBTQ movement
Meet the 2016-2017 National Student Council!
Click on an image to learn more about each member of GLSEN's National Student Council!
In the News
In Their Own Words
If you have any questions about GLSEN's National Student Council, send an email to email@example.com.