You are here
Associate Director of Development, West
Reports To: Director of Development
Location: Los Angeles, CA
About GLSEN and the Position
GLSEN is the only education organization dedicated to creating safe & inclusive K-12 schools for all students regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Over the last 28 years, GLSEN has established a track record of remarkable systemic impact, which has been a powerful incentive for investment from individuals, corporations and foundations. Our Development team raises over $8 million a year from diverse sources for the organization’s life-changing work.
We seek a dynamic and accomplished fundraising professional to sustain and amplify the impact of the organization’s remarkable network of support in Los Angeles and on the West Coast. This position reports to the Director of Development and serves as a member of the national Development team. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success with high-level donor relationship management, including closing six-figure gifts; and the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with the national team, while managing a portfolio of significant relationships that includes GLSEN National Board members, leadership donors, corporate sponsors, celebrity supporters and their teams, and other local donors and volunteers. Currently, this portfolio yields in excess of $2.2 million in revenue, with tremendous potential yet to be realized.
- Steward relationships with GLSEN’s west coast funders across all revenue lines (individual, institutional, third party, and event)
- Collaborate with the national team to strengthen connections between west coast funders and GLSEN’s work at the local and national level
- Ensure that celebrity supporters, leadership givers, and other high level volunteers are connected with GLSEN events, campaigns, and programs in ways that further the organization’s overall revenue, marketing, and programmatic goals, and increases the quality and depth of supporters’ relationship to the organization
- Support the work of GLSEN’s west coast Board Members and other volunteer fundraising leadership, including the committees spearheading the LA Respect Awards and Pride events
- Maintain and steward a robust leadership pipeline of local fundraising volunteers, event leadership, and future GLSEN Board Members
- Maintain thorough records of all in-person, phone, and email contacts; ensure all donor records are updated in the database in a timely fashion
- In collaboration with national staff, plan and support Executive Director and Development Director west coast travel to further stewardship of local relationships and cultivation and closing of leadership gifts
- Represent GLSEN in meetings with significant fundraising, marketing, and programmatic contacts, including existing and prospective relationships with corporations, elected officials and government agencies, celebrities and their teams, and other individuals.
- Collaborate with the Western Regional Director, also based in LA, to support GLSEN’s program and advocacy efforts in the region, and make that impact evident to our local supporters
- Track incoming revenue and provide timely updates for receivables
- Other duties as assigned
- Proven ability to identify, steward, and close gifts above $100,000 from diverse donors
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge and CRM/CMS systems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills—with an ability to inspire others to support GLSEN and become ambassadors for its mission
- Familiarity with event-based fundraising
- Familiarity with various facets of the entertainment industry and celebrity engagement
- Ability to use cloud and VPN based systems to complete collaborative projects
- Understanding of philanthropic trends and emerging prospect pools
- An appreciation for the mission and growth aspirations of GLSEN
- 7+ years of experience with volunteer management and donor stewardship
- Knowledge of LGBTQ, education, and civil rights issues
- Experience working with non-profit Board members
- Experience with, and appreciation for, a racially-equitable workplace and fundraising program
- The intellectual depth, entrepreneurial drive, maturity, self-confidence, interpersonal skills, and warmth to build and maintain relationships with people at all levels of GLSEN’s community of support, throughout the organization, and across a diverse range of educational and social backgrounds
- Strong understanding of and commitment to working through a social and racial justice lens
GLSEN offers a generous benefits package, including: five weeks paid time off for new employees in addition to 10 paid holidays per year; 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance for staff and optional benefits for family members (including domestic partners); life insurance; and a 401k plan with increasing employer contributions based on staff tenure.
Expected starting salary is $95,000/year depending on qualifications and experience.
This position will be located in Los Angeles, California. For more information see GLSEN's website at www.glsen.org. To apply, please submit your resume and letter of interest at: http://www.glsen.org/apply-to-work-at-glsen.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, people with disabilities, women, and non-LGBTQ people to apply.