You are here
Reports to: Chief Communications & Advocacy Officer
Objective: The Communications Intern will work with each member of GLSEN's Communications team in the areas of marketing, media relations and social media, while also occasionally working on team-wide projects. The intern will contribute to the success of a national education nonprofit and gain firsthand knowledge of the workings of a high-impact communications team.
- Assist in tracking and analyzing GLSEN media coverage.
- Provide monitoring and support for GLSEN social media.
- Contribute to the creation of digital content.
- Provide research support for various Communications projects.
- Assist with customer service for GLSEN online store.
- Help maintain GLSEN materials library and content portfolios.
- Sort through, analyze and document GLSEN archives.
- Provide departmental administrative support.
- 1-2 years experience in communications, marketing or digital engagement.
- Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized.
- Ability to work with and relate to community members, community organizations and students.
- Interest in communications.
- Passion for and knowledge of LGBT and/or education issues.
- Experience with multiple social media platforms.
- Knowledge of HTML, content management systems, Adobe Creative Suite, and/or video editing a plus, but not required.
- Spanish skills a plus, but not required.
This position is located in GLSEN's New York City headquarters at 110 William Street, New York, NY. The position includes a weekly stipend for 4-5 days per week; internships typically last three to six months.
To apply, send a resume, cover letter and writing samples to: http://glsen.org/apply-to-work-at-glsen Please indicate your availability in your cover letter. Start and end dates are flexible.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBT persons to apply.