- A college or graduate student focusing on non-profit management, community organizing, social justice work or a combination of the three.
- Passionate about equal access to education and about safe, healthful and respectful schools for all students.
- Knowledgeable about or eager to learn about and drive change on the issues LGBT students face in school
GLSEN is: a national education organization that strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. We believe that such an atmosphere engenders a positive sense of self, which is the basis of educational achievement and personal growth. Since homophobia and heterosexism undermine a healthy school climate, we work to educate teachers, students and the public at large about the damaging effects these forces have on youth and adults alike.
Field Services Intern Description: Manage and support the creation and development of volunteer recruitment, orientation and management tools and assist GLSEN Chapters in bringing GLSEN programs to communities on a local level. Below are potential responsibilities depending on organizational needs and on the Intern's skills and interests. The Intern will meet with the Field Services Manager at the beginning of the internship and on a weekly basis going forward to define specific project goals and review progress.
- Respond to requests from GLSEN Chapters such as sending resources or links for materials to Chapters who are requesting support for community events and tabling opportunities.
- Support the logistical management of nationally sponsored Chapter events. This may include create and maintaining participant lists, drafting emails, creating resources and responding to emails regarding the event(s).
- Manage the logistics for GLSEN's presence at the NYC Pride March. This may include creating and maintaining participant list, drafting emails, inviting local Chapters to participate and additional related communications.
- Basic website maintenance – Basic training provided as needed, may include but is not limited to: updating address and contact information sections, changing path and URL names for Chapter websites when needed and periodic audits of Chapter webpages to ensure GLSEN brand consistency.
- Provide administrative support to Field Services Department
- Provide timely response to requests from GLSEN staff and external constituents;
- Attend and participate in scheduled staff meetings;
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- General computer skills including competency in all Microsoft Office programs, including Excel;
- Ability to show initiative, be self-directed, and work independently; ability to accept direction and seek guidance when needed for effective completion of projects;
- Pleasant, tactful, detail-oriented
- Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in social justice
- Previous experience using social media sites and website-editing software;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others through respectful communication, prioritization, and timely and accurate response and delivery;
- Experience with online communication tools.
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up.
This position is located in GLSEN's New York City headquarters and reports to the Field Services Manager.
To apply, submit your resume and a letter of interest to: http://www.glsen.org/apply-to-work-at-glsen.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBT persons to apply.