You are here
GLSEN Chapters: Events and Conferences
GLSEN Chapters are an active bunch and they have a ton of things planned for the upcoming year. Check out some of the current happenings, upcoming events, conferences and community outreach planned below.
- 9/20 GLSEN Baltimore is assembling a fresh, new squad of volunteers who will assist us with all of the great work being done in Baltimore schools. During this training, you will learn about GLSEN as a national organization, our mission, our work in Baltimore, and how you can be a part. Join them for this new volunteer training on Saturday, September 20 from 9AM to 3PM. We are hosting the training in the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) office, which is located behind the Govans-Boundary Parish United Methodist Church. Parking is free. Both breakfast and lunch will be served. Registration is FREE! Register today for this event and join us as we prepare to inspire more change in Baltimore schools
- 9/20 GLSEN Connecticut will be tabling at the New Haven Block Party on Saturday, Sept. 20, from 4-10PM on the corner of Church and Crown Street. Join us for New Haven’s most fabulous event! Crown Street will be closed to traffic from Church to Orange for Pride New Haven celebration.
- 9/21 GLSEN New York Capital Region is doing a cool radio segment titled "Past, Present & Future" co-chairs perspective of the chapter on WRPI 91.5. You can stream the segment at noon by visiting www.wrpi.org.
- 9/21 GLSEN Southern Maine will host GLSEN founder Kevin Jennings. Kevin will speak in Portland at a Sunday, Sept. 21 champagne brunch to help raise $20K for GLSEN-Southern Maine. This will grow our chapter's efforts in Gay-Straight-Trans Alliance support, youth leadership development, policies to make LGBT youth safer in schools, and professional development for school faculty/staff. Please join us!
- 9/23 GLSEN Greater Dayton will partner with the management and staff of Meadowlark to raise money for Safe Schools in Dayton and Kettering. Their last partnership resulted in great success. Bring your friends, family and significant others for lunch or dinner and help us promote safe schools.
- 10/04 GLSEN Omaha will hold ART+EQUALITY2014 a Fundraiser for Safer Schools. The event will take place from 5:30 - 9:00PM at The Gallery at Prouty Place. There is a $20 suggested donation.Join us for hor d'oeuvres and refreshments and buy artwork by local and regional artists. Artists donate anywhere from 50 to 100 percent of sales to GLSEN Omaha. Click here to RSVP. Last year, support from artists and patrons made it possible to provide more than 30 hours of training to current and future educators and support to 17 GSAs and more than 160 students. We co-hosted the first ever statewide LGBTQ+ youth and young adult conference in Nebraska for students, educators and emerging leaders from across the state.
- 10/08 GLSEN Oregon and NIKE have partnered for over 10 years with the Nike Youth Summit. This year, to more directly align with the goals of NIKE and GLSEN we are offering a slightly different gathering focused on LGBT issues in K-12 athletics. This is the rescheduled event from last Spring when applications were first opened. There are still openings for participation. We encourage you to talk to your students and fellow athletic staff about participation. The Summit is open to both LGBTQ and Ally students and athletic staff (coaches, PE Teachers).
- 10/09 GLSEN Greater Kansas City will conduct a professional development training for the Greater Kansas City School Counselor Association. The focus of the training will be supporting LGBT students and developing a safe and inclusive classroom.
- 10/10 GLSEN Massachusetts, BAGLY and Campus Pride will partner for the Northeast Region College Fair and Prep Day. The event will take place from 1:00PM to 3:00PM at the Great Room, Massachusetts State House (24 Beacon St., Boston MA). The national college fair program is designed to address the concerns of LGBT and ally students related to academics, student life and campus safety.We hope to to connect more students nationwide with essential information about LGBT-friendly campuses and the college admissions process. Register now.
- 10/11 GLSEN Los Angeles and Campus Pride will partner for the West Coast Region College Fair and Prep Day. The event will take place from 11:30AM to 1:30PM at The University of Southern California, Alumni Park, Los Angeles, CA. Please note that the event will take place Rain or Shine; Outdoor location without a tent. Individuals are welcome to bring an umbrella, sunblock. Register now.
- 10/11 GLSEN Washington State will hold the 11th Annual Puget Sound GSA Leadership Summit in Seattle! To offer the maximum number of possibilities, this year our workshops have been divided into parallel tracks. Just pick the track that suits you best. You can register for the event here. Whether you are just beginning to explore your sexuality or gender for the first time, or you are an old pro, or you are just a beloved advocate, welcome!
- 10/15 GLSEN Hudson Valley will hold their Ally Awards. Each year, GLSEN Hudson Valley celebrates Ally Week through the presentation of Ally Awards to Allies in the community who create positive change for LGBTQ youth. We ask community members to to nominate people, groups or organizations in the Hudson Valley that play a vital role in making schools safer for all students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. The event will take place at Stonehedge Restaurant, West Park, NY. Find out more here.
- 10/17 GLSEN Southern Maine, EqualityMaine, GLAD (Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders) and NASW (National Association of Social Workers) are co-hosting a terrific conference called "Resources for Safe and Supportive Schools" on Friday, October 17, 8:30am-2:30pm, USM/Portland.
- 10/18 GLSEN Southeast Michigan LGBT Youth will come together to talk about the issues they face at school and learn what can be done about them at the 2014 Fall LGBT Youth Leadership Summit on Saturday, October 18, at Affirmations in Downtown Ferndale! RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10/21 GLSEN Tucson will hold a "Creating an Inclusive School Environment for LGBT Students" workshop for educators. It will take place from 4:30-6:30pm at Rincon High School. RSVP by emailing Tucson@chapters.glsen.org. Topics include – best practices for supporting transgender students, using inclusive curriculum and the role of GSA’s and Days of Action.
- 10/24 GLSEN New Hampshire along with our partners GLAD, and PFLAG NH are offering their first conference open to teachers, school counselors, school nurses and administrators. The Welcoming Classrooms: Meeting the Needs of LGBT Students and Their Allies Conference. We will hold a variety of workshops presented by leaders of these groups, to help educators make their schools safer and more welcoming for all students. Find our more by clicking here.
- 10/25 GLSEN Oregon, GLSEN Washington State and Campus Pride will partner for the Northwest Region College Fair and Prep Day. The event will take place from 12:00PM to 3:00PM at Washington State University Vancouver, Firstenburg Student Commons, 14204 NE Salmon Creek Avenue, Vancouver WA 98686.The national college fair program is designed to address the concerns of LGBT and ally students related to academics, student life and campus safety. Register now.
- 10/25 GLSEN Greater Cincinnati will hold their Youth Summit. The event is a FREE day-long event that draws lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and allied youth from all over the Greater Cincinnati area and beyond. With speakers, workshops, and panels on topics from being out at school and work to the biology of sexuality to self-defense, as well as engaging social opportunities, plus lunch and dinner. The Summit is designed for youth ages 14+, as well as adult allies of LGBTQ youth and those interested in learning more about GLSEN's work for safe schools. To find out more click here.
- 11/15 GLSEN Central New Jersey, HiTOPS, and Lenape High School will proudly host the 11th NJ GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) Forum on November 15, 2014. Our theme this year is, It Gets Better – It’s Gotten Better, a look at LGBT issues, past, present, and future. To find out more click here.
- 11/15 GLSEN Middle Tennessee in partnership with Campus Pride will partner for the Southeast Region College Fair and Prep Day at Belmont United Methodist Community Center, Hillsboro West End, Nashville, TN 37212 from 12:00PM - 3:00PM. The national college fair program is designed to address the concerns of LGBT and ally students related to academics, student life and campus safety. Register now.