You are here
Public Policy Intern
Location: This position is based in GLSEN’s Washington, D.C. office
Objectives: The Public Policy Intern will assist Public Policy staff in both state and federal work, ranging from legislation, grassroots organizing, and organizational outreach.
GLSEN’s Policy Staff is seeking an energized and detail oriented intern to join our team for Spring (January to May) 2017. We are embarking an exciting legislative session in the states and federally and are looking for a member of our team who is ready to jump in, stay organized, and implement a variety of small and large scale projects. This internship is paid and is based in our Washington, DC office.
- Assist with planning of execution of state-based advocacy days.
- Monitor state-level legislation via Fiscal Note or other legislative tracking tools.
- Create and maintain resources for state partners and local activists.
- Support and research federal and state policy, grassroots organizing, and movement-building projects.
- Assist in development, publishing, and monitoring policy action alerts.
- Assist with lobbying efforts for the Safe Schools Improvement Act and other federal legislation efforts.
- Represent GLSEN’s interests at community and partner events.
- Create content, including blog posts for GLSEN’s blog.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Detail oriented and self-starter.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Creative problem solver.
- Strong research skills.
- General knowledge of the legislative process.
- Background or strong interest in lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues, civil rights and/or education issues.
- Demonstrated experience with or commitment to work in diverse communities.
- This internship requires use of software including: Microsoft Office suite; Google Drive; FiscalNote; CQ Engage. Training will be provided as necessary.
Schedule and Details:
- Full-time and part-time internships are available.
- A commitment of 6-12 weeks is required.
- Internships may take place during the school semester or the summer.
- This is a paid internship at the hourly rate of $11.50/hour.
- We will interview and select interns on a rolling basis.
Location: Our office is based in downtown Washington DC, convenient to the Blue/Orange and Red line Metro trains.
To apply, send your resume, cover letter, and a 200 word writing sample to https://www.glsen.org/apply-to-work-at-glsen. Please indicate your availability in your cover letter. GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBT persons to apply.