You are here
Research Associate / Senior Research Associate
GLSEN strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. We believe that such an atmosphere engenders a positive sense of self, which is the basis of educational achievement and personal growth. Since homophobia and heterosexism undermine a healthy school climate, we work to educate teachers, students and the public at large about the damaging effects these forces have on youth and adults alike.
Work as a critical member of the Research Department to develop and execute all areas of GLSEN’s research program, which provides insight into lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) issues in K-12 education, and evaluates the efficacy of GLSEN programs and recommended interventions.
Reports to: Director of Research
A. Manage research projects, in collaboration with other members of the Research Department.
- Manage a number of GLSEN’s current research projects, including original research related to LGBTQ issues in education.
- Work collaboratively with other research staff on multiple research projects (including those which are managed by others).
- Design and execute research studies, including obtaining Research Ethics Review Committee approval, instrument design, participant outreach, data collection, data cleaning and coding, and data analysis.
- Conduct evaluation research on GLSEN’s programs and initiatives to assess need, implementation, and/or effectiveness.
- Participate in developing, updating, and maintaining a knowledge base of the current social science literature regarding issues of sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in education.
- Assist in identifying funding opportunities for research and in writing of grant proposals.
B. Prepare and present GLSEN’s research findings for internal and external audiences.
- Analyze data and write up research findings and conclusions for publication as research reports, briefs, and blogs for GLSEN constituents, educators, advocates, policymakers, and for scholarly publications.
- Prepare findings for production, including editing, writing, and collaboration on design of reports and other materials.
- Prepare and deliver presentations on research findings for academic and practitioner audiences, including at conferences and via webinar.
- Disseminate research findings and information about the Research Department through traditional and social media channels (including GLSEN Research twitter and email listserv, and responding to media requests)
C. Collaborate with GLSEN staff and key organizational allies to promote GLSEN’s efforts to achieve policy and programmatic improvements on LGBTQ issues in K-12 schools
- Respond to external requests for information about GLSEN’s research and to other research questions regarding LGBTQ issues and education, including shepherding outside requests for applications to GLSEN’s Research Ethics Review Committee.
- Respond to internal requests for research results and statistical information of use to GLSEN’s communications, policy, educator and youth programming efforts.
- Provide technical assistance and maintain relationships and collaborate with outside researchers and partner organizations.
- Assist with administration of GLSEN’s Research Advisory Bodies, including corresponding with members, scheduling meetings, and processing reimbursement and honoraria requests
- Provide leadership and support to the 35+ GLSEN state/local Chapters regarding research endeavors or information.
- Graduate degree in Psychology, Social Work, Education, Public Health or other relevant social science discipline. (A doctoral degree is required for the Senior Associate position.)
- Experience conducting research in a non-academic setting.
- Experience conducting quantitative research and statistical analysis, as well as experience with qualitative research.
- Strong knowledge of multivariate statistics using SPSS for analysis.
- Familiarity with LGBTQ issues in education and/or issues of LGBTQ youth in general.
- Familiarity with educational or other social science research, research methods, and program evaluation.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Ability to adapt and translate academic studies and research for general audiences.
- Organizational skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Committed to GLSEN's mission and goals.
- Committed to working to further social justice and racial equity.
- Interested in using research for advocacy, public awareness, and programming.
Candidates moving forward in the hiring process will be contacted directly. Determination of a Research Associate or Senior Research Associate position will be dependent upon degree, relevant experience, and level of expertise.
This is a full time, exempt position, with flexible hours and occasional travel required (average of 4 domestic trips per year), located in the GLSEN Headquarters in New York City.
- Medical and dental insurance provided at no cost to employee; vision insurance provided at low cost to employee.
- Short- and long-term disability, life insurance, and Employee Assistance Program provided at no-cost to the employee
- 401K plan with employer contribution
- Time Off: 25 days PTO annually for first 3 years of employment (increasing with tenure), plus 10 paid holidays per year
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, people with disabilities, women, and non-LGBT people to apply.