You are here
Summer Research Fellow
Objective: Support the Research Department in all aspects of its work to provide insight into lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) issues in K-12 education, and evaluate the efficacy of GLSEN programs and recommended interventions.
Reports to: Senior Research Associate
Responsibilities: GLSEN seeks a Summer Research Fellow to assist the Research Department with GLSEN’s primary research related to LGBT issues in K-12 education and evaluation work examining the efficacy of GLSEN’s recommended interventions. The Summer Research Fellow will work closely with the other members of the Research team and will:
- Assist with preparation and presentation of GLSEN’s research findings and summaries of other relevant research for internal and external audiences
- Assist in basic quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Assist in maintaining data sets including data entry, cleaning, and coding of data
- Support the writing, editing, and proofreading of research reports, briefs, and other presentation material for internal and external audiences
- Perform literature reviews and library research
- Maintain research literature database of current social science literature regarding LGBT issues in education
- Participate in regular Research Department meetings and receive regular 1:1 supervision from Senior Research Associate
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as necessary
- Graduate students pursuing a Master’s or Doctoral degree in Education, Psychology, Public Health, Sociology, or other related field
- Experience with quantitative research required and familiarity with qualitative research preferred
- Working knowledge of SPSS
- Background, familiarity, or strong interest in LGBT issues in education or LGBT youth issues
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Word, and Power Point
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task
- Commitment to GLSEN’s mission and goals
This is a paid internship. Candidates who are available to work full-time or part-time are welcome to apply.
This position is located in GLSEN's New York City headquarters.
To apply, submit your resume and a letter of interest to: http://www.glsen.org/apply-to-work-at-glsen.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBT persons to apply.