You are here
Volunteer Manager (Field Services)
GLSEN strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. We believe that such an atmosphere engenders a positive sense of self, which is the basis of educational achievement and personal growth. Since homophobia and heterosexism undermine a healthy school climate, we work to educate teachers, students and the public at large about the damaging effects these forces have on youth and adults alike.
GLSEN seeks a results-oriented professional with volunteer management experience to join our Field Services team and help build the capacity of GLSEN’s 40 Chapters to champion LGBTQ issues in K-12 education. The successful candidate is someone who is looking to help us grow our reach across the country and help us evaluate and improve our volunteer management policies and systems, including how we collect data from Chapters, accredit Chapters, and support the formation of new Chapters. We seek someone who likes working with people and has a track record of successful organizing.
Reports to: Director of Field Services
• Grow the Chapter Network
o Manage intake process for new Chapter requests
o Help build marketing materials that inspire people to want to start GLSEN Chapters.
o Provide direct support for Steering Committees through the point at which they become Chapters.
• Help GLSEN’s volunteers to support LGBTQ students in their communities
o Help to provide strategic planning support to Chapters to ensure that their work aligns with GLSEN’s mission, values, and strategic plan.
o Provide general support to Chapter leaders across the country
o Regularly visit Chapters in the communities where they work, traveling once or twice per month
• Support a network that includes and affirms volunteers of diverse identities and from diverse backgrounds
o Manage the Chapter leaders’ Race & Privilege Committee that is working to ensure Chapter leaders have the knowledge and skills to work within a racial justice framework.
o Support Chapters in taking action to ensure that they reflect and positively impact all communities in their coverage areas.
o Ensure an affirming and inclusive approach to GLSEN volunteer recruitment, retention, and programming.
• Strengthen volunteers’ connections to GLSEN and to one another
o Foster an environment of cohesiveness and collaboration within Chapters and between Chapters and Field Services Department.
o Work with Director of Field Services to build volunteer engagement systems outside of Chapter Network, such as student alumni and individual engagement programs.
• Keep the GLSEN Chapter Network organized
o Manage GLSEN’s annual Chapter Accreditation process, helping to establish Accreditation criteria and working with volunteer-led Accreditation Review Committee to evaluate applications.
o Manage Chapter tracking tools, ensuring we capture accurate information of Chapter accomplishments and developing solutions to improve the response rate from Chapters.
o Help to evaluate and update GLSEN’s Chapter governance policies, by-laws, and processes.
The ideal candidate should meet the following criteria:
• 5 years of experience working in the nonprofit sector.
• Demonstrated experience successfully managing groups of volunteers and an understanding of the current best practices and emerging trends in volunteer management.
• A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an ability to inspire others to support GLSEN and become volunteers for its mission.
• Knowledge of national LGBT, education, civil rights and other relevant partner communities.
• Strong understanding and commitment to working through a social and racial justice lens.
• An appreciation for the mission and growth aspirations of GLSEN.
This position will be located within the New York City office. Other locations considered for the right candidate. For more information see GLSEN's website at www.glsen.org. Submit your resume and letter of interest online to apply.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, people with disabilities, women, and non-LGBT people to apply.