You are here
Youth Programs Manager
Reports to: Director of Education and Youth Programs
GLSEN strives to ensure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. We believe that such an atmosphere engenders a positive sense of self, which is the basis of educational achievement and personal growth. Since homophobia and heterosexism undermine a healthy school climate, we work to educate teachers, students and the public at large about the damaging effects these forces have on youth and adults alike.
About the position:
The Youth Programs Manager will be a part of GLSEN’s Education and Youth Programs Department, which ensures that GLSEN continues to provide high quality youth resources and programs that increase the capacity of students nationally to create and sustain safe, respectful, and healthful school environments for LGBTQ students. This position will work with our Youth Programs Associate, to provide impactful programs and support for students to build their leadership skills and build a movement toward inclusive schools.
- National Student Leadership Development
○ Manage GLSEN’s national student leadership programming; identify strategic opportunities and partnerships; develop resources to support national student leadership
○ Develop and lead GLSEN’s National Student Council, a diverse group of student leaders from across the country whose charge is to increase GLSEN’s depth and breadth regarding young people’s engagement in our programs, policies, and practices.
■ Coordinate the annual National Student Council Summit, including programming, coordinating, and logistics.
■ Coordinate GLSEN’s Student Advisory Committee, a subcommittee of GLSEN’s National Advisory Council.
○ Manage requests from other departments regarding youth presence and participation, including prepping student representatives and logistics coordination
- GSA/student-club Capacity Building
○ Develop and lead GLSEN’s national strategy on building the capacity of GSAs, and other student clubs in creating inclusive schools; track and analyze impact data
○ Increase opportunities for LGBTQ and ally students to engage in GLSEN programs and build leadership skills, including curating current resource offerings, updating as needed, and creation of new resources
○ Manage GLSEN’s youth-facing social media channels in coordination with the Communications department; provide technical assistance to students in schools as they organize to create inclusive schools
○ Support additional department projects and programs as needed
- Manage National Student Action Campaigns
○ Develop and lead GLSEN’s youth-facing days of action – Ally Week and Day of Silence – in coordination with our Communications department, including resource development, campaign strategy, and student engagement
○ Develop and coordinate youth opportunities for engagement and organizing with GLSEN’s educator-facing programs, along with GLSEN’s Education Manager as well as in coordination with our Communications department.
- Manage national youth development organizations and other partners
○ Identify and engage national partner organizations and experts to increase the depth, breadth, and impact of GLSEN’s youth programs
○ Represent GLSEN at national conferences and events
- Experience developing and managing youth programs from a macro lens; regional or national experience a plus
- Five or more years of direct work experience in youth development; master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field (such as social work, youth development, education, public health, and counseling) a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working with diverse groups
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of youth development principles, best practices, and pedagogy
- Knowledge of the U.S. education system and current LGBTQ issues in schools
- Commitment to social justice and knowledge of anti-oppression/anti-racist work
- Ability to manage time efficiently and support multiple projects at once
- Exceptional attention to detail and consistency in follow-up
- Working knowledge of social media and constituent database software
- Willingness to travel several times per year
- Facilitation/training and logistics coordination experience a plus
This position will be located in GLSEN’s New York City headquarters.To apply, please submit your resume and letter of interest at: http://www.glsen.org/apply-to-work-at-glsen.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, people with disabilities, women, and non-LGBT people to apply.