You are here
Financial Support for GSAs
Leif Mitchell was an invaluable member of GLSEN Connecticut’s Board of Directors from the 90’s through the spring of 2013 when he relocated to Boston, Massachusetts. He spent many of those years as a co-chair for the Connecticut Chapter. Because of the amount of hard work and dedication he devoted to the work of GLSEN, the Connecticut Board felt that it was most appropriate to rename the award after him in honor of his selfless commitment to making schools safe for ALL students. Amounts of up to $200 can be allocated to schools and GSAs to help support GLSEN’s mission of creating safe schools for all.
These funds can be used for a variety of purposes including (but not limited to) funding events (e.g., Day of Silence, Ally Week, Transgender Awareness Week), guest speakers, travel expenses for students to attend LGBTQ-related conferences and events (e.g., True Colors Conference), meeting supplies (including snacks), and GLSEN-related resources such as Safe Space Kits.
Priority for Funds Will Be Given to:
- Schools and GSAs that demonstrate a strong commitment to GLSEN’s mission with the number of teachers and students involved;
- Schools and GSAs that have not received the award in the past; and
- Schools that will follow up the week’s activities with further in-school work and ongoing contact with the GLSEN Connecticut chapter.
1. Send all completed application material to email@example.com.
2. Write in the subject line, “Leif E. Mitchell Safe Schools Fund Award Application [Name of your school]”
3. Include the following attachments:
A) Completed application
B) Documentation from school principal (with contact info)