Community Mobilization Director
Community Mobilization Director Job Posting
GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network) works to create safe and affirming schools for all students, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. We have been doing this work since 1990, and we are the only national organization dedicated to transforming K-12 school climate for LGBTQ students. We work at the local, district, state and federal level to effect systems change in education in the U.S., and we connect with an international network of organizational partners to support similar progress around the world. Our work has produced measurable improvements in the lives of LGBTQ students in the United States, and helped establish new norms of support for LGBTQ students in the education world.
We have an open position!
GLSEN is seeking a Director of Community Mobilization to join our leadership team. The CM Director is responsible for GLSEN’s partnership with local volunteers, helping to drive organizational impact at the local level. This includes fostering the connection between local GLSEN chapters and the GLSEN national office, facilitating learning and dialogue across the network, and ensuring that local knowledge and experience contribute to continual evolution and improvement, and growing power for local school stakeholders. In partnership with colleagues across the national organization, the CM director ensures that all GLSEN programs, campaigns and resources reach and have impact at the local level and that the work GLSEN National produces is relevant, meaningful and easy to utilize across the network.
What is needed to be successful in this position?
· Bachelor’s degree or relevant leadership experience in community activism, outreach, or managing volunteers (A Master’s degree and/or 5-7 years’ experience with progressive leadership responsibility within community organizing/coalition building, youth development programming, or education organization preferred)
- Experience creating and deploying programming and campaigns that are driven by and/or responsive to community stakeholders
- Proven ability to work with students, educators, local school stakeholders and other volunteers in ways that empower them to achieve concrete program and legislative results.
- Ability to work effectively and manage a team under the pressure of multiple tight deadlines and budgetary constraints.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Exceptional relational skills.
- Strong management skills and the ability to mentor and lead a diverse intergenerational team of professionals and volunteer GLSEN Chapter leaders.
- Collaborative and opportunistic mindset to leverage opportunities to achieve shared goals
· Experience within medium to large non-profit, and/or social justice organization, and working on issues that impact marginalized communities preferred
Want to apply and learn more?
Submit your resume and letter of interest at http://www.glsen.org/apply-to-work-at-glsen.
The Community Mobilization Director primarily works in GLSEN’s headquarters in New York City and will travel to chapter locations predominantly in the United States (approximately 40%)
GLSEN offers a generous benefits package, including: five weeks paid time off for new
employees in addition to 10 paid holidays per year; 100% employer-paid medical and dental
insurance for staff and optional benefits for family members (including domestic partners); life
insurance; and a 401k plan with increasing employer contributions based on staff tenure.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, people of
diverse gender identities, people with disabilities, women, and non-LGBTQ people to apply.
To apply, please submit your resume at: https://www.glsen.org/apply-work-glsen.