Digital Engagement Associate
New York City
Reports to: Digital Engagement Manager
Location: New York City
Salary Range: $50,000
Objective and Purpose
The Digital Engagement Associate provides project support to the Digital Engagement Manager and Director of Communications and Public Voice, helping achieve GLSEN’s mission of LGBTQ+ inclusive K-12 schools by leveraging all digital channels – social, web, email, SMS, advertising, and blog – to advance GLSEN’s programs, services, and offerings
The Digital Engagement Associate primarily assists in the on-going implementation of GLSEN’s social media and digital strategy. Through the development of digital strategies and campaigns, the Digital Engagement Associate works with the Communications team to increase GLSEN’s reach with target audiences, create engagement paths, and drive meaningful action. At a time where LGBTQ+ youth are both vulnerable to the current political climate - while highly visible and more resilient than ever before - the Digital Engagement Associate will work across digital and traditional mediums to ensure that GLSEN’s brand and messaging are at the forefront of both the national and local conversations on LGBTQ+ youth and K-12 education. This associate will work with GLSEN’s expansive constituency, including youth, educators and school administrators, parents, partner organizations, volunteers in our chapter network and across GLSEN’s 41 Chapters in 38 states to activate these audiences to improve the climate of our nation’s schools for all. Finally, and most importantly, the Digital Engagement Associate will display a dynamic passion for changing the world for the better for LGBTQ youth, and have an anti-oppressive and anti-racist approach to all of their work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- With supervision from the Digital Engagement Manager, maintain the social media content calendar. Draft, schedule, and post Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram content in accordance with the calendar; coordinate with stakeholders on copy, assets, and approvals as necessary
- Monitor social channels and respond in accordance with institutional priorities and community management best practices
- Work with Chapters to ensure messaging consistency and support Chapters in their Digital Engagement work
- Directly responsible for managing accounts including uploading and captioning content
- Generate weekly CRM lists for social media campaigns
- Support the Digital Engagement Manager in the monitoring and development of all digital campaigns
- Request and route visual assets for all social media platforms and Google Display Campaigns
- Assist with copy edits and asset updates on GLSEN’s website
- Assist with special projects
- Other duties, including some administrative tasks, as assigned.
- Understanding of and experience using Microsoft Office Suite, social media platforms for business (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube), Community Management Platforms (Sprout Social, Hootsuite, etc.), and Adobe Creative Suite (Primarily Photoshop and Premiere Pro) are preferred
- Working knowledge of Drupal 8 or other CMS
- Experience working with CRM databases
- Working knowledge of search engine optimization best practices
- An understanding of digital analytics
- Enthusiastic approach to working collaboratively with, and providing support for, staff and volunteers across the network who have widely varied levels of skill and comfort with digital media
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize, move multiple projects forward, honor commitments, and deliver on tight deadlines
- A passion for LGBTQ issues in K-12 education
- Experience in nonprofit and/or advocacy environments a plus
The Digital Engagement Associate primarily works in the office.
- Ability to sit for eight (8) or more hours with breaks.
- This is a sedentary position, with occasional periods of standing.
- This position demands extensive keyboarding, visual acuity required
To Apply: Please submit your resume and a letter of interest at glsen.org/jobs.
Please do not email, fax, or mail applications.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, of diverse gender identities, women, and non-LGBTQ persons to apply.