GLSEN Finance, Administration & HR Assistant
Reports to: Sr. Operations Manager
Location: New York (Remote)
Annual Salary: $50,000.00
GLSEN, a national education non-profit organization, has led the movement to create safe and inclusive K-12 schools for all since its founding in 1990. GLSEN was created by a group of teachers who wanted to end discrimination, violence, harassment and bullying based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, and prompt LGBTQ awareness and inclusion in K-12 schools. Today, GLSEN is a national network of students, teachers, parents, and other school stakeholders working to transform K-12 education to create affirming learning environments for all LGBTQ youth. GLSEN fights for every student’s right to a safe, supportive and LGBTQ-inclusive K-12 education. Over three decades, GLSEN has measurably improved school climate for LGBTQ+ students across the United States, and launched and sustains an international network of partner NGOs engaged in an international movement on these issues.
Within the United States, we accomplish our goals by working in hallways everywhere – from the White House, Congress and the Department of Education to district offices and schools in your community to improve school climate and champion LGBTQ issues in K-12 education.
- We conduct extensive and original research to inform our evidence-based solutions for K-12 education.
- We author developmentally appropriate resources for educators to use throughout their school community.
- We partner with decision-makers to ensure that comprehensive and inclusive safe schools policies are adopted and implemented.
- We partner with dozens of national education organizations to leverage our shared expertise into creating great schools and better opportunities for every student.
- We empower students to affect change by supporting student-led efforts to positively impact their own schools and local communities
The Operations Assistant’s primary responsibility is supporting the functions of the Finance, HR & Operations Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serving as office receptionist; including answering main switch line, signing for and distributing packages.
- Monitor and distribute emails received at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Assisting with office vendors, including: carrier & shipping services, equipment vendors and building management, among others.
- Ordering of office supplies
- Mail distribution
- General office upkeep and organization
- Preparation of Operations purchase requests
- Assist with scheduling department meetings with other departments/staff as needed
- Other administrative and clerical tasks as assigned
- Creation of check log of mailed donations, and depositing checks at the bank/ATM.
- Maintain accounting files and contracts
- Create new vendors in accounting system
- Assist with Chapter’s Finance emails and requests
- Assist with docusign and combining Adobe accounting documents – Accounts Payable purchase requests, vendor invoices, receipts, credit card reports and supporting receipts.
- Other financial clerical tasks as assigned
Human Resource Assistance
- Maintaining HR personnel file
- Posting and updating open positions on websites
- Receiving, acknowledging, and distributing received resumes
- Maintaining job applicant materials
- Assist with the processing of new hire forms and orientation materials.
- Maintaining and co-organizing new hire and employee departure checklists and processes
- Other HR assistance tasks as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- Self-starter with at least 2 years of full-time work experience and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment moving multiple projects forward simultaneously.
- Proactive and ability to work independently and in a team setting
- Creative problem solver with strong attention to detail
- Strong time-management skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Windows-based computer experience needed, including Word, Excel, Adobe, Docusign, Asana, and Internet understanding.
- Interest in growing in the field of Non-Profit Finance, Operations, and HR.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary: $50,000.00
- Benefits: GLSEN offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package, including 24 paid days off for new employees in addition to 10 paid holidays per year; 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance for staff and optional benefits for family members (including domestic partners); life insurance, and a 401K plan with increasing employer contributions based on tenure.
- Location: GLSEN’s headquarters in New York City. Due to the pandemic staff are currently working from home until it is safe to return to the office.
To apply, submit your resume and letter of interest to glsen.org/apply-to-work-at-glsen.
Please do not email, fax, or mail applications. This position's location is in New York, NY or Remote. To apply, please submit your resume and letter of interest at: http://www.glsen.org/apply-to-work-at-glsen. GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, people with disabilities, women, and non-LGBTQ+ people to apply.