GLSEN Arizona Educator and Youth Engagement Coordinator
Reports to: GLSEN Arizona Director
Location: Phoenix, Arizona with some travel within the state
Annual Salary: $65,000 (plus benefits)
About GLSEN Arizona
GLSEN and its 40 local chapters work at the local, district, state, and federal level to create systems change in K-12 education in the U.S. Our work has produced measurable improvements in the lives of LGBTQ students in the United States, and helped establish new norms of support for LGBTQ students in the education world.
Since 2002, GLSEN Arizona has worked to create safer and more affirming K-12 schools for all students, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. We train educators and school administrators, support and strengthen student-led Gender/Sexuality Alliance (GSA) clubs, and work with school communities, lawmakers, and local stakeholders to reform and implement evidence-based LGBTQ-inclusive and affirming education law as well as school policies, practices and curriculum.
As part of the GLSEN National Chapter Network, we are in the midst of a major institutional transformation process which is striving to advance racial, gender, and disability justice. We are committed to building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment and believe that every member of our team enriches our diversity by contributing in a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions.
GLSEN Arizona is seeking to hire an Educator and Youth Engagement Coordinator. The right fit for this particular role will be an Arizona-based individual who is grounded in community organizing and models of membership-based organizations, with particular focus on K-12 educator and youth engagement and leadership development.
This is a full-time, hybrid position that reports directly to the GLSEN Arizona Director and works hand in hand with the Arizona Community Mobilization Coordinator.
- Coordinate and expand GLSEN Arizona’s “Teachers’ Lounge” (working title) responding to identified Educator needs as these may arise through the program roll out.
- Monitor and respond to the GLSEN Arizona SHINE online community and online Educator community as needed.
- Respond to educator and school training requests and direct to GLSEN’s National Training resources and Professional Development programs ensuring ongoing support is provided through the local Chapter.
- Provide technical assistance to educators in Arizona as they organize to create inclusive schools.
- Work with the Arizona Director and Community Mobilization Coordinator to scale educator and youth engagement efforts beyond Maricopa County into targeted areas in Arizona as part of the Chapter’s expansion plan.
- Adopt and execute GLSEN’s Program model aimed at building the capacity of local student leadership, organizing, and advocacy toward creating inclusive schools.
- Identify opportunities for LGBTQIA2S+ students to engage in GLSEN Arizona programs and build leadership skills.
- Oversee GLSEN Arizona’s Youth Engagement Program, including our SHINE Team made up of youth members and youth/adult leaders (SHINE Mentors) who take action locally to advance GLSEN’s mission, with a focus on dismantling adultism.
- Provide technical assistance to students in Arizona schools as they organize to create inclusive schools.
- Coordinate program materials, training opportunities, events and activities with GLSEN National’s Youth and Education teams as relevant.
- Drive GLSEN Arizona’s base-building strategy by focusing on building relationships with school districts, education agencies, etc.
- Three or more years of direct work experience with K-12 educators and/or youth.
- Experience in community organizing/advocacy and community engagement.
- Experience working to dismantle adultism interpersonally and institutionally.
- Experience working with youth organizers is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working with diverse groups.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of youth development principles, best practices, and pedagogy.
- Knowledge of the Arizona education system and current LGBTQ2S+ issues in schools.
- Commitment to social justice and knowledge of anti-oppression/anti-racist work.
- Ability to manage time efficiently and support multiple projects at once.
- Attention to detail and consistency in follow-up.
- Working knowledge of social media and constituent database software.
- Conversational Spanish is a plus.
GLSEN offers a generous benefits package, including: paid time off, paid holidays, medical, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability; life insurance; employee assistance program; and a 401k plan with increasing employer contributions based on staff tenure.
GLSEN seeks to facilitate a healthy and safe work life balance and offers flexible work schedule hours and locations that align with the demands of job responsibilities and employee needs.
To apply, qualified candidates should submit their resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBTQ+ persons to apply.