GLSEN Arizona Policy Manager
Reports to: Director of Public Policy
Location: Arizona with some travel within the State and limited National travel, regular travel to the Phoenix office required.
Position: Full-time (partially remote)
Starting salary range: $65,000 - $75,000 plus benefits (based on experience)
GLSEN Arizona is seeking to hire a State Policy Advocacy Manager responsible for strengthening GLSEN Arizona’s capacity to engage in educational advocacy as well as law and policy reform and implementation as part of our mission to create safer and more affirming learning environments for LGBTQ+ and ALL students in K-12 schools in Arizona. The successful candidate will be an independent decision maker and a knowledgeable government relations professional with exceptional communication, analytical, strategic thinking, project management, and coalition-building skills. This is a new position at GLSEN Arizona, and the State Policy Advocacy Manager will initially spend time building systems and program infrastructure. The incumbent will also work closely with the GLSEN National Policy team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze and advocate state legislative bills and statewide regulations impacting LGBTQ+ youth and K-12 school communities.
- Track state legislation during legislative sessions.
- Author monthly newsletter focused on state legislative and regulatory activity,
- Advocate GLSEN Arizona’s positions at various meetings and speaking events when needed.
- Establish, maintain, and foster professional relationships with allied organizations and state stakeholder organizations including the Arizona Department of Education, Arizona School Boards Association, Arizona School Administrators Association, Arizona School Counselors Association, Arizona Education Association, and others.
- Participate in Lobby Days led by partners, including Equality Arizona, HRC, and others.
- Visit with and educate lawmakers to share the message that safe schools are a nonpartisan issue.
- Represent GLSEN Arizona on appropriate committees.
- Respond to various state-related issue inquiries from community members.
- Prepare comment letters concerning proposed state legislation and regulations impacting LGBTQ+ youth in K-12 schools.
- Monitor federal legislative hearings, when needed, and report findings to the GLSEN Arizona Managing Director.
- Help educate and activate Arizona regarding federal legislation and regulations.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 5 + years’ of experience in public policy advocacy, educational institutions, government relations or related fields, community organizing experience is a plus.
- Experience working in/building coalitions
- Knowledge of the Arizona education system and political landscape is required.
- Knowledge of issues facing LGBTQ+ youth in all of their diversity in K-12 school communities.
- Existing relationships within the Arizona education system is a plus
- Strong oral and written communications skills required.
- Strong ability to collaborate and work as a team is essential.
- Understands and values diversity and equity and maximizes diversity and equity to achieve organizational goals
- Good understanding of the functions of support team members.
- Ability to improve or create new tools and systems for documenting and reporting.
- Commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Presentation, facilitation, and public speaking skills.
- Commitment to the values, principles, mission, and goals of GLSEN.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Proficiency (or willingness to learn) in Google Drive (including Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms) and other technologies.
Professional & Personal Development:
- Participate in professional development opportunities based on a personal development plan.
- Join organization-wide growth efforts like anti-racism training.
- Engage in regular check-ins with leadership for continuous mentorship and two-way feedback.
This position primarily works in an office-setting. Travel may be required.
- Ability to sit for eight (8) or more hours with breaks
- This is a sedentary position, with standing desks available
- Must be able to comply with the physical demands of travel
- This position demands extensive keyboarding, visual acuity required
- Occasionally asked to lift 25+ pounds
Please submit your resume and a letter of interest at www.glsen.org/apply-work-glsen. Please do not email, fax, or mail applications.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, people with disabilities, women, and non-LGBTQ people to apply.