GLSEN Kansas Statewide Organizer
Reports to: Director of Community Mobilization
Annual Salary: $50,000.00 - $60,000.00
GLSEN works to create safe and affirming schools for all students, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. We have been doing this work since 1990, and we are the only national organization dedicated to transforming K-12 school climate for LGBTQ students. We work at the local, district, state, and federal level to effect systems change in education in the U.S., and we connect with an international network of organizational partners to support similar progress around the world. Our work has produced measurable improvements in the lives of LGBTQ students in the United States and helped establish new norms of support for LGBTQ students in the education world.
GLSEN is in the midst of a major institutional transformation process, which is striving to advance racial, gender and disability justice across our national chapter network. To fortify, strengthen and grow our chapter network, which is actively engaged in creating spaces for LGBTQ+ youth to thrive within formal and informal educational spaces.
To ensure our continued success GLSEN is seeking a Kansas statewide organizer to join our Community Mobilization team. Reporting to the Director of Community Mobilization and accountable to the GLSEN Kansas Board of Directors, the GLSEN Kansas Statewide Organizer will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for GLSEN Kansas’ staff, programs, fund development, expansion, in fulfillment of its mission. They will develop deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations, and strategic plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership & Management
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, develop rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize GLSEN Kansas volunteers, board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as liaison of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing local operations as well as for the national rollout.
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Develop and submit an annual work plan each year to National supervisor and GLSEN KS Board members for review and approval
- Provide monthly written reports to the GLSEN Kansas Board regarding progress of annual work plan.
Fundraising & Communications
- Expand local revenue-generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional expansion.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from online & social media presence to external relations with the goal of building stronger donor, community partner, and volunteer relationships.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
Planning & New Business
- Work with GLSEN National to design the statewide expansion and begin the strategic planning process for the program expansion into new areas of the state.
- Begin to build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with the funders, and political and community leaders at each expansion site.
- Be an external local and statewide presence that publishes and communicates program results.
The GLSEN Kansas Statewide Organizer will be thoroughly committed to GLSEN Kansas’ mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, advocacy, fundraising and program management experience.
Specific requirements include
- Certified GLSEN Professional Development Facilitator (or able to obtain).
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study preferred and a minimum of 3 years of practical experience, or 10 years of applicable experience, including 3 years of senior management experience and a track record of effective non-profit leadership.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to strategic planning.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of the organization.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
Travel & Position Location
The Kansas statewide organizer must be based in Kansas and will travel within the state with limited national travel post-pandemic. During the pandemic, this position is 100% remote.
To apply, submit your resume and letter of interest to glsen.org/apply-to-work-at-glsen.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, people with disabilities, and women to apply.