Marketing & Events Manager
Los Angeles, CA
Marketing & Events Manager
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Development, West
LOCATION: Los Angeles, CA
ABOUT GLSEN & THE POSITION:
GLSEN is the only education organization dedicated to creating safe & inclusive K-12 schools for all students regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Over the last 29 years, GLSEN has established a track record of remarkable systemic impact, which has been a powerful incentive for investment from individuals, corporations and foundations. Our Development team raises $8.5+ million a year from diverse sources for the organization’s life-changing work.
GLSEN is seeking an experienced fundraising professional to fill the role of Marketing & Events Manager to provide full-service support to our corporate partners. This person will be responsible for managing and enhancing a successful & growing event portfolio which includes two annual galas – the Respect Awards in New York & Los Angeles – as well as an annual Pride celebration in Los Angeles. They will also collaborate with corporate partners on co-marketing & proceeds benefiting campaigns, while engaging their employee affinity groups.
The Marketing & Events Manager raises philanthropic support for GLSEN priorities & programs by identifying, cultivating, soliciting, stewarding, & maintaining relationships with corporate partners. They are responsible for forming mutually beneficial, long-term partnerships with companies in order to strengthen & increase the organizational ties to these important philanthropic partners.
This person will be part of a seven-person team & will report to the Associate Director of Development, West.
- Overall management of fundraising events generating approximately $2.25mm (45%)
o Manage event production team & internal event partners on all event planning (coordinate meetings, prepare agendas, project manage internal processes etc.)
o Prepare prospect list and track revenue projections, conduct outreach, record pledges, & collect receivables in a timely manner
o Work with the GLSEN Media Relations & Public Voice team & other partners to prepare all event collateral & marketing material (invitations, program book, media releases, etc.)
o Partner with internal stakeholders on recruitment, vetting, selection, & award presentation for Educator, GSA, and Student Advocate of the Year Awards
o Work with GLSEN events team & vendors to ensure all sponsor benefits are fulfilled
o Ensure established budgets for each event achieve a responsible ROI in-line with industry standards
o Supervise & manage vendors associated with event planning, production, and execution; process invoices and payments for vendors
o Oversee event timelines to ensure deadlines are met
o Recruit, assign, and train on-site volunteers for day-of event needs
- Overall management of cause marketing & proceeds benefit partnerships generating approximately $1.6mm (45%)
o Collaborate with corporate partners on co-marketing campaigns with proceeds benefiting GLSEN, developing unique activations for each
o Identify prospects for program funding opportunities
o Review all legal agreements, record pledges, process invoices, & collect receivables in a timely manner
o Manage colleagues cross-departmentally to ensure deliverables are met
o Review all co-branded marketing materials & circulate for appropriate approvals
- Management of Employee Resource Group programming with corporate partners (10%)
o Brief all corporate partners on engagement benefits associated with their sponsorship
o Coordinate workshops, webinars, & trainings for partners with GLSEN ambassadors
o Keep employees & partner organizations informed about GLSEN’s work
o Coordinate with GLSEN Chapters on activations in local communities
- Proven ability to identify, cultivate, & secure sponsorships above $50,000; established record of strong funder stewardship
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (written & oral), & organizational skills
- Strong understanding of corporate philanthropy & fundraising events
- Great attention to detail & the ability to prioritize multiple assignments & complex tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency with fundraising databases, ideally Raiser’s Edge
- Ability to use cloud & VPN based systems to complete collaborative projects
- Team player who is goal oriented & deadline driven with the ability to take independent initiative
- An appreciation for the mission & growth aspirations of GLSEN
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in a non-profit fundraising setting
- Knowledge of LGBTQ, education, & civil rights issues
- Experience working with non-profit Board members
- Experience with, and appreciation for, a racially-equitable workplace & fundraising program
- Strong understanding of & commitment to working through a social & racial justice lens
- Willingness to travel occasionally & work some nights/weekends as needed
GLSEN offers a generous benefits package, including: five weeks paid time off for new employees in addition to 10 paid holidays per year; 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance for staff and optional benefits for family members (including domestic partners); life insurance; and a 401k plan with increasing employer contributions based on staff tenure.
This position will be located in Los Angeles, California. For more information see GLSEN's website at www.glsen.org. To apply, please submit your resume and letter of interest at:
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, people with disabilities, women, and non-LGBTQ people to apply.