Our Commitment to Privacy
GLSEN respects the privacy of visitors to all GLSEN hosted websites, including glsen.org, all GLSEN chapter (eg; glsen.org/Austin), and campaign websites, including the Local School Climate Survey at localsurvey.glsen.org, GLSEN’s Shop to Support at shop.glsen.org, and the GLSENUP advocacy center at cqrcengage.com/glsen. This notice explains our online information practices, and to make it easy to find, links to it are posted conspicuously throughout GLSEN's websites. By visiting GLSEN websites you accept the practices described in this notice.
Information Collection and Use
GLSEN gathers aggregate information about website usage and users, such as day and time of visit, pages visited, and devices used. Additionally, our web server automatically records the Internet Protocol (IP) address of each visitor to our site, which is only used to track, block, and report hacking attempts. Otherwise, we collect and analyze aggregate information to help us determine how to improve website performance and user experience.
GLSEN also collects personal data from visitors to the site via registration forms, such as event registration, advocacy actions, or email list subscriptions. Completion of any of these forms is optional. The information that is collected via the form is entered into GLSEN's database. Visitors will be subscribed to appropriate lists to receive specific GLSEN email communications and occasional communications by regular mail. Visitors who do not wish to receive communications from GLSEN may opt out at any time by clicking “unsubscribe” from the footer of any GLSEN email or emailing email@example.com with “UNSUBSCRIBE” in the subject line.
GLSEN complies fully with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA). GLSEN does not knowingly collect identifiable personal information from children under age 13. If we discover that a person under the age of 13 has provided us with any personally identifiable information, we will immediately delete that information from our systems. We are unable to reply to information requests directly from children under the age of 13, if so identified. A parent or guardian must initiate any requests for information from children under the age of 13 on their behalf. We encourage parents to supervise children when they browse the Internet.
With the exception of students, GLSEN will occasionally share personal information with partner organizations through promotions, partnerships or otherwise. You may choose to withhold your personal information from exchange by selecting that option by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with “DO NOT SHARE” in the subject line.
When collecting information from individuals who identify as secondary school students, GLSEN will not share, trade or sell contact information to any non-GLSEN individual, group or organization.
How We Protect Your Information
GLSEN holds your personal information to the highest level of confidence and security. Our website is securely protected against the loss, theft, misuse, or misrepresentation of information under our control. Access to GLSEN's database information is limited only to specific qualified GLSEN representatives and relevant vendors (e.g. the company that prepares are physical mailings must have access in order to send you mail on our behalf). Third-party vendors have legal agreements preventing the storage any information from GLSEN's database. Additionally, when you make a contribution to GLSEN online, your financial information is transmitted using a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption. SSL is a proven coding system that lets your browser encrypt data before being sent to our payment processor to help prevent fraud.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can ever be 100% secure. While we strive to protect your information to the fullest extent, we cannot ensure or completely guarantee the security of such information. We take the utmost precaution to keep your credit card information safe and secure. Your credit card transaction is processed automatically and your full credit card is never accessible to any human, even for recurring donations.
If you are uncomfortable submitting your credit card information online, you can also contribute to GLSEN by printing out the online form and mailing it in or call us at 212-727-0135.
GLSEN uses "cookies" on some web pages. Internet cookies are small amounts of data that contain a unique identifier that many websites frequently send to your web browser to be stored on your computer’s hard drive in order to save data about you, such as your name, password, user-name, screen preferences, and the pages of a website you have viewed. When you revisit the Sites, GLSEN may recognize you by your Internet cookies and customize your experience accordingly. An End User can configure his or her browser to be alerted when a site is attempting to send a cookie and refuse the cookie. Cookies can also be removed from your hard drive. Depending on what type of web browser and what browser version you are using, you may be able to change the properties on your cookie file so that cookies are not used or saved. Please check with your browser provider for more information on removing cookies.
Text Messaging (SMS/MMS) Policy
GLSEN offers an optional text messaging service to constituents, allowing for short communications regarding relevant and timely events, advocacy calls to action, and campaign opportunities. SMS alerts are available on AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, T-Mobile®, U.S. Cellular®, Nextel, Virgin Mobile, and others. MMS Alerts available only to AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, and T-Mobile subscribers. GLSEN usually sends 2-4 messages each month. Message and data rates may apply.
We will never send unsolicited messages to your mobile phone. If you have not provided your mobile phone number to us, we will endeavor to ensure you do not receive a promotional SMS from us. If you feel you have been subscribed in error, simply text message QUIT to 21333.
We collect mobile phone numbers and consent to send messages when you text message GLSEN’s SMS number (21333) with a short code, such as: GLSEN, signup via website forms or registration for or at a GLSEN related event.
Although we collect mobile phone numbers through each form of contact, GLSEN only subscribes constituents to our text messaging service who provided authorization – either by directly texting GLSEN’s SMS number to opt-in or by agreeing to opt-in during web form completion.
GLSEN utilizes text messaging, along with mail, email, websites, and social media to communicate with constituents regarding local, state, and national actions they can take in support of LGBTQ students, such as:
- Contacting elected officials and school leaders on urgent legislative and policy actions needed to support LGBTQ students
- Registering to participate or organize in GLSEN events and days of action, like Day of Silence, Ally Week, or No Name-Calling Week
- Participating in digital campaigns, such as sharing messages of support for LGBTQ students, photos of local safer schools organizing efforts, participating in an LGBTQ history quiz, or listening to messages from students and celebrity supporters.
- Occasional contests giving away safe schools organizing resources to students and educators
If you wish to unsubscribe from GLSEN text messages at any time, simply text message QUIT to 21333. Alternatively, please email email@example.com with the subject line ‘Do not call’. You can re-subscribe at any time by text messaging GLSEN to 21333.
We will never seek any confidential/sensitive information through SMS. Examples of confidential information include - PINs, passwords, CVV, expiry date, issue date, mother's maiden name etc. Some text messages may advise you to visit our website (www.glsen.org) for specific campaign details or actions. All text messages to and from GLSEN should use the text messaging number, 21333. If you receive a text message purported to be from GLSEN which was not received from 21333, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Text Messaging (SMS) Terms and Conditions
- In addition to any entry, submission or other fee of which you are notified of at the time of entry, your carrier’s standard messaging rates apply to your entry or submission message, our confirmation and all subsequent SMS correspondence and/or transmissions. All charges are billed by and payable to your mobile service provider.
- We will not be liable for any delays in the receipt of any SMS messages as delivery is subject to effective transmission from your mobile service operator. SMS MESSAGE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS, AND WE MAKE NO WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED.
- Data obtained from you in connection with this SMS service may include your cell phone number, your carrier’s name, and the date, time and content of your messages, as well as other information that you provide. We may use this information to contact you and to provide the services you request from us.
- By using this service you may have access to various content. You should assume that everything to which you have access through this service is subject to copyright and trademark protection, unless noted otherwise. By subscribing or otherwise using the service, you acknowledge and agree that all right, title and interest, including the trademark and copyright rights, in and to such works are our property, and that you will not gain any ownership or other right, title or interest therein or thereto. You may not copy, download or make any other unauthorized uses of such items.
- By subscribing, you consent to receive text messages from us according to the program frequency.
- By subscribing or otherwise using the service, you acknowledge and agree that we will have the right to change and/or terminate the service at any time, with or without cause and/or advance notice.
- T-Mobile is not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.
- All content is appropriate for ages 13 and older (T13+)
Local School Climate Survey
If you create an account for purposes of our Local School Climate Survey tool: All personal information of survey creators is protected and kept confidential. All account information is accessible only to the survey creator via password protected account and to LSCS administrators (staff members of the GLSEN Research Department), who will access such information only on an “as needed” basis. There may be times when GLSEN will use your information to provide you with services such as survey creation and technical troubleshooting. We may also use your information internally to monitor, maintain, and improve the Local School Climate Survey tool features and the services we provide externally. We will not use your information for marketing purposes or for any other purposes unrelated to the survey(s) you create. GLSEN will not divulge the name, contact information, or log in information of the survey creator to anyone without the survey creator’s express written permission, except in a limited set of circumstances (e.g. if we are compelled by a subpoena, if there is a legal question of harm). NOTE: You will have the option to designate a survey contact person and email address when creating your survey – this is the only information about the survey creator that we will provide to survey takers.
Notifications of Changes
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com or mail:
GLSEN | Communications
110 William Street, 30th Floor
New York, NY 10038