Our staff have explored LGBTQ issues in education and the impact of bullying on school climate for nearly 20 years.
Our Commitment to Research
We all want to help schools become safe, respectful communities, but how do we know where to start? What are the challenges that students and educators face? What works best to address those challenges?
GLSEN has been conducting research and evaluation on LGBTQ issues in K-12 education since 1999. Our research staff members are nationally recognized experts, trusted by safe schools advocates and researchers alike to provide the facts about our national school climate. Our research has helped to:
- Motivate legislators to act on the challenges that LGBTQ students face in their home states.
- Alert principals and other administrators why Gender and Sexuality Alliances, enumerated policies and other resources are so important to creating safe and respectful school communities.
- Educate students and school staff about LGBTQ student experiences of bullying and harassment.
- Identify and promote best practices and resources for creating safe and affirming schools.
- Develop evidence for LGBTQ-affirming action through research in partnership with other organizations internationally
Our research and resources can empower you to make your community’s schools safer, more respectful, and more inclusive for LGBTQ youth.
Please review our other research and resources below: