RESPONDING TO VALENTINE ROAD
EDUCATOR ACTIONS AND RESOURCES
Now that you’ve watched and discussed Valentine Road, take action to create change in your school!
Examine current data on the experiences of LGBT students in school, understand the safe schools laws in your state and consider how policy impacts school climate.
- Read GLSEN’s National School Climate Survey for current data and trends related to LGBT students in school.
- Check out GLSEN’s Policy State Maps to find the anti-bullying and nondiscrimination laws in your state.
- Explore GLSEN’s Model School Policy for promising practices and procedures to improve school climate.
Support student leaders and advocate for change.
- Check out Transgender Student Rights (TSR), a grassroots student-created organization, working to create safer spaces for trans and gender nonconforming students.
- Encourage your students to celebrate Ally Week each October.
- Support and advocate for your students on National Day of Silence each April.
- Gather information on the experiences of your students with GLSEN’s Local School Climate Survey.
- Make sure to continue the conversation with your colleagues and administration.
Create and sustain respectful, safe and healthy learning environments for all your students.
- Find out how to be an ally to LGBT middle and high school students with GLSEN’s Safe Space Kit.
- Create respectful elementary school climate with tips, guided reflection and lesson plans in GLSEN’s Ready, Set, Respect! elementary toolkit.
- Visit the Educator Resources section of GLSEN’s website for educator guides and lessons on LGBT history and themes, as well as name-calling and bullying.
- Watch the GLSEN webinar to ensure that your transgender and gender nonconforming students are safe and supported.
- Pay attention to the unique experiences of LGBT students of color and find ways to better support them with GLSEN’s Considerations When Working with LGBT Students of Color.
Engage with fellow educators and find support in-person and online.
- Connect with a GLSEN Chapter near you for support, resources and training.
- Join GLSEN’s Educator Network to participate in the largest network of K-12 educators working to create safe, supportive school environments for LGBT students.
- Ask questions, share best practices and discuss LGBT issues with other educators on the GLSEN Educator Forum on Facebook.
- Keep up to date on LGBT issues in schools, GLSEN resources and opportunities for learning via Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr.